six dead and 53 injured after an explosion in the heart of Istanbul, Erdogan denounces a “vile attack”

A loud explosion sounded Sunday afternoon in the busy shopping street of Istiqlal in the heart of the big city.

A strong explosion of unknown origin sounded Sunday afternoon in the busy shopping street of Istiqlal, in the heart of Istanbul, Turkish media first reported, which reported several injuries.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan denounced a “vile attack” who did “six dead and 58 injured“, according to a final report, he said live on television. “The perpetrators of this vile attack will be unmasked. Let our population be sure that the perpetrators will be punished“, he said, two hours after the explosion.

The explosion occurred shortly after 4:00 p.m. (1:00 p.m. GMT), when the crowd in Istiqlal Street, a popular Sunday stroll for Istanbulites and tourists, is particularly dense. The private television channel NTV shows a deployment of relief and police. The area was evacuated.

panic movement

According to the images broadcast by social networks at the time of the explosion, it is heard from afar, accompanied by flames and immediately triggers a movement of panic. A large black crater is also visible in these images, along with several bodies on the ground nearby.

Itstiqlal Street had already been hit in the past during a campaign of attacks in 2015-2016 which notably targeted Istanbul. Claimed by the Islamic State group, it had killed nearly 500 people and injured more than 2,000.

.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *